Fgura is a town located in the South of Malta having an area of 1.1 km2 and is one of the most populated towns in the Maltese Islands with 12,258 inhabitants. However, before the Second World War, Fgura was a small village with only a few farmhouses. More or less 20 farmer families lived in the town at the time. Even if Fgura seems to be a new town as it was built up in the 1960s, the town has prehistoric roots dating back to the times of the Phoenicians. Six Phoenician tombs dating back to the 4th Century B.C. were found in Fgura between 28th October and 2nd December 1948. Nowadays, Fgura is mostly a residential town with a commercial centre on the main road that leads from Paola to Zabbar.
Things to see and do:
Il-Monument tas-Salib (The Cross Monument): This monument, designed by sculptor Ganni Bonnici, was inaugurated in February 1990 by Minister Ugo Mifsud Bonnici. It was placed on the same spot where a small church built in 1970 had once been standing.
Reggie Miller Gardens: The Garden is located on the right side of the Parish Church in Fgura and is in fact not a garden but an open space decorated with palm trees. Originally it had been developed into a garden with a fishpond however this changed in 1996 when the garden as we know it today opened. At the same year, the Fgura Local Council raised a monument of Our Lady of Mount Carmen in the gardens, which was created by Fgura sculptor Alfred C Cauchi.
Patri Regent Gauci Gardens: Built by the Ministry of Social Policy in 2000, this place is a family leisure ground complete with a clubhouse and playing courts.
Bus numbers 1, 90, 91 from Valletta