Floriana is located just outside the capital city of Malta, Valletta. The origins of Floriana date back to 1634 when Grandmaster de Paule, sensing another attack by the Ottoman Turks, brought over an Italian engineer, Pietro Paolo Floriani, who built further fortifications in the town. And this is from where Floriana gets its name. Floriana was meant to be a suburb of Valletta, but it developed to be a town on its own. It covers an area of 133 acres and has a population of around 2,600 people. The town offers a rich history with a number of historic buildings, churches, gardens and monuments that shed a light on the Maltese history.
St. Publius was the first bishop of Malta and the patron saint of Floriana. According to tradition, St. Publius received St. Paul while he was shipwrecked in Malta. St. Publius is the first Maltese saint, and so the devotionof the Maltese towards him is great. Pope John Paul II spoke at the Granaries in Floriana during his two visits to Malta. Floriana is a primary administrative centre that hosts the Ministry of Education, the Ministry for Infrastructure, the General Police Headquarters, The National Library, and many other public and private entities.
Things to see and do:
Argotti Gardens: These gardens provide a quiet, relaxing and shady spot in the centre of the city.
Portes des Bombes: This decorative gate forms the outer defensive walls of Valletta. It was constructed between 1697 and 1720 in the baroque style, during the reign of Grandmaster Ramon Perellos y Roccaful. His coat of arms is carven at the top of the part of the gate.
St. Publius church: This magnificent church was built during the late part of the 18th century and was consecrated on the 28th March, 1792.
The Granaries: These are deep large holes dug into the ground built with the purpose of storing grains. The containers are covered with large circular stones that are sealed with cement to keep the grains fresh. The granaries, also known as il-fosos, are one of the largest open spaces in Malta and are therefore often used for large gatherings such as political mass meetings and music concerts.
The Mall Gardens: The Mall is a promenade lined with trees and ponds, it was created by Grandmaster Lascaris Gastellian in 1656, and it was the first playground to be created in Malta and possibly in Europe. The Mall houses a number of monuments commemorating important Maltese people.
Christ the King Monument: This monument is the creation of the famous local sculptor Antonio Sciortino, in honour of the 24th Eucharistic Congress that was held in Malta in 1913.
Wignacourt Water Tower: Grandmaster Wingnacourt is famous for building the aqueduct system that broughtwater from Rabat towards Valletta. This fountain, which is still in a good condition, commemorates the aqueduct, and is completed with Wignacourt’s coat of arms, and a bowl intended to provide drinking water to horses and other animals.
Bus numbers: All buses departing from/arriving to Valletta pass through Floriana