GET IN TOUCH

FUN Malta

B1, The Windgates, 

Triq it-Torri tal-Kaptan

Naxxar

NXR 2152

T:

+356 27455450

M:

+356 77441347

E:

NAVIGATION
SOCIAL
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Google+ Social Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
SUBSCRIBE!

 © FUN MALTA

San Gwann is a town located on the North Eastern part of Malta, close to St. Julian’s, Sliema and Birkikara. The suburb, that has a population of around 14,000 people, is mainly made up of new buildings and being so close to Sliema and St. Julian's, San Gwann provides a cheaper real estate option for both locals and foreigners. There are a few archaeological remains in the area, suggesting that San Ġwann has an ancient history. There are a pair of cart ruts found near the area of Sant Andrija, whose dating is not definite, bus is assumed to be pre-Punic times, probably carved out during the Bronze Age period from 2300-1000 BC. Their function is also not established but they are usually presumed to be a transport facility. These cart ruts suggest that there was a pre-historic agricultural community living in San Gwann, who farmed the fertile valleys of Wied Ghomor, Wied il-Ballut and Wied Ghollieqa.

Later excavations discovered remains from the Roman period including a number of tombs and a covered cistern suggesting an active community. However, the most famous remain is the Roman tower of Ta’ Cieda. This tower was one of eight defensive towers built around Malta around the third century, and during the Arab period it was used as a cemetery. The Arab influence in the region can be seen in the Semitic names given to a number of areas such as tal-Gharghar, l-Imsierah and the valleys of Wied Ghomor, Wied il-Ballut and Wied Ghollieqa and many other field localities.

Lanzun Tower was built later to serve as an observation post for advancing planes and was damaged during enemy action. Nowadays, this tower is the seat of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem. San Ġwann also hosts the Chancery of the Grand Priory of the Mediterranean of the Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem. The 1950s brought the Capuchin Friars to San Gwann. The Friars built a convent and a church dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes, finished in December 1959. This church was established as a separate parish in 1965. Today San Gwann had grown into a residential and commercial centre; in fact, the main road is lined with a number of shops and in the outskirts of the town, an industrial estate has been created, housing a number of factories and manufacturing plants.


 

Getting there

Bus numbers 22, 31, 35 from Valletta

San Gwann